I started to feel a little under the weather today, that chill to your bone where you can never quite warm up. Craving soup I decided to try this this Carrot Ginger Soup from Love and Lemons which instantly turned the carrots which immediately turned the sad looking carrots in my fridge into something surprising and wonderful! Using fresh grated ginger was key and while I topped it with cilantro and a little feta cheese, you could really take it in so many different directions.
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 heaping cups chopped carrots
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste (optional)
- coconut milk for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves (they’ll get blended later) and chopped carrots to the pot and cook about 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in the ginger, then add the apple cider vinegar, and then add 3 to 4 cups of broth, depending on your desired consistency. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
3. Let cool slightly and using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add maple syrup, if desired.
Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, or with cilantro and feta cheese.