For many, the end of January signifies relief as we’ve made it through a month dedicated to resolutions, self improvement, goal setting, or quitting one vice or another. Hopefully our efforts have spurred new habits and genuine commitment to an overall healthier lifestyle. Yet just as soon as January passes, February comes along and throws a whole bunch of new challenges our way, threatening to undo everything we’ve achieved this past month. Arriving particularly early this February is Super Bowl Sunday, an American holiday synonymous with some of our very worst habits including binge drinking, overeating, and marathon TV watching. But fear not, participating in our country’s greatest pastime celebration does not mean you have to forgo all of your newly forged healthy habits.
I helped create this delicious, guilt free Super Bowl spread for an amazing new brand of cookware called Equal Parts, the first product launch of a Pattern Brands dedicated to helping people enjoy daily life. Equal Parts cookware is designed to make home cooking more accessible, healthier and enjoyable. I’m very excited to be working with Equal Parts as a culinary consultant helping create recipes, guides, and content featuring their incredible line of kitchen products. Stay tuned for more recipes and these incredible photos! For now, happy to share these healthyish recipes for some Super Bowl inspiration.
Baked Asian Sticky Wings
One part sweet, one part savory these sticky wings will leave your guests licking their fingers and reaching for more. While classic hot wings are traditionally deep fried in oil, our healthier version is prepped entirely sans oil and features a surprising and addictive blend of flavors. Recipe created for: @getequalparts
- For Wings
- 2 ½ lbs chicken wings or drumettes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tbs baking powder For Sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1tbs fresh ginger root minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced To Finish
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Pat wings dry with paper towels and spread evenly on baking sheet. Combine salt, pepper and baking powder and coat chicken wings. Make sure to mix well, using hands if necessary. Bake wings for about 40-45 mins flipping the wings with tongs about halfway through cooking time.
- As the wings are baking, combine hoisin, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, sherry, ginger and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil and reduce to a gentle simmer for 2-3 mins. Make sure to whisk constantly as sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, remove wings from oven and turn oven to broil. Combine cooked wings with half the sauce in a bowl so they’re well coated. Remove foil from baking and replace with a clean piece sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spread wings out on baking sheet and return to oven for 3-5 min. Turn the wings over halfway during cooking, remove wings from oven and pour over remaining sauce. Wings should look caramelized when done.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve immediately.
Buffalo Cauliflower with Yogurt Dill Dipping Sauce
According to the National Chicken Council, Americans ate over 1 billion chicken wings during last year’s Super Bowl. For those who have committed to a more meatless 2020 not to fret. Cauliflower stands in as the perfect substitute to meat in this healthier veggie version of Buffalo wings. By tossing cauliflower in hot sauce and broiling not frying until perfectly crispy and delicious you’ll get all the flavor of hot wings without any of the guilt. Try our homemade yogurt ranch dipping sauce on the side. Recipe created for: @getequalparts
- For Cauliflower
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cored and cut into small florets
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup buffalo hot sauce
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice For Sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley, chives or a combination)
- Optional: celery for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare your Equal Parts Baking Sheet with aluminum foil. You can also choose to prepare cauliflower in your Big Pan. Core cauliflower and chop into 1-2 in small florets. Toss cauliflower in your Equal Parts Prep Bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast in oven for 20 min, stirring occasionally till tender.
- While cauliflower is in the oven, start preparing the buffalo sauce by melting butter in a small saucepan on low heat. Add hot sauce to butter and stir to combine and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Remove from heat. Alternatively, melt butter in microwave bowl and stir in buffalo sauce and seasoning.
- Meanwhile, prepare yogurt ranch dressing by combining all ingredients in a food processor or blender, if one is not available mix well in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Remove cauliflower from oven, brush buffalo sauce over cauliflower pieces coating each piece well. Return cauliflower to oven for an additional 10 min or until cauliflower is browned. Remove from oven, let cool 5 min before serving.
- Serve with yogurt ranch dressing, carrots and celery.
Spinach Artichoke Dip with Jalapeños
If you do decide to indulge, this dip is totally worth it. With just the right amount of bite, it pairs perfectly with classic corn tortilla chips and even your Buffalo Cauliflower. Recipe created for: @getequalparts
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1.5 cups nonfat or 2% greek yogurt
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 ½ cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 14 oz can of quartered artichoke hearts, drained well and chopped
- 1 4 oz can of diced or sliced jalapeños, drained
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine cream cheese, yogurt, butter and parmesan cheese in saucepan over medium heat. As ingredients melt, stir frequently until combined and mixture starts bubbling.
- Reduce heat slightly and stir in artichokes, jalapenos, spinach and garlic continuing to stir. Let bubble for a few minutes and remove from heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle some additional parmesan cheese on top if desired. Dip is best if served warm, can be made a day in advance and reheated in oven or on stovetop.
Creamy Avocado Hummus Dip
Part Guacamole, part hummus this creamy dip is packed with healthy ingredients like greek yogurt, tahini, and fresh herbs. Recipe created for: @getequalparts
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 medium to large ripe avocado
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, rinsed, and dried well (leaves and stems are fine)
- 2-3 fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbs greek yogurt
- 1 tbs tahini (optional)
- 2 tbs lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flake (omit to make a milder version)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbs of water to thin dip as needed
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor blending for approx 1 min. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.
- Top dip with extra cilantro and a drizzle of chili oil or olive oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve with chips, pita or cut up veggies.
Spicy Black Bean Dip
This easy black bean dip packs a surprising punch. The level of spice can be adjusted to taste. Recipe created for: @getequalparts
- 2 14 oz cans of black beans (drained and rinsed well)
- ½ cup cilantro chopped, rinsed, and dried well (leaves and stems are fine)
- 1 jalapeño chopped (for a milder dip remove the seeds)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ¼ medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- ½ cup grated cheese to top the dip (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor process for approx 1 min. Alternatively combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Top with shredded cheese and serve with chips.